Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Samples, Samples, and More Samples

Happy [belated] Singles Awareness Day!

I spent the day treating myself to some long hours of crafting, specifically beading. Some of my supplies finally came in, and I've been working on a few sample pieces that will eventually make their way to my Etsy shop. :)

First up, pearls.


They're all gone now...



Now, neither beading nor making necklaces have ever been my forté. I've always been known as the "earring girl"; making accessories out of re-purposed items like buttons and Scrabble tiles, or sculpting Skittles charms out of polymer clay. So with this particular project, I was able to work on my wire patterning and crimping tool skills, and apply some of what I've learned in Physics class to jewelry making. So far so good! I really wanted to go for a classic lolita aesthetic, something reminiscent of Juliette et Justine.



Unfortunately, I went through almost my entire supply of cream pearls making this, and I need a few more findings to refine certain areas, so it will probably be a few more days before I can put it up in the shop for orders. In the mean time, I'll be working out some of the "gravitational kinks". Luckily I have plenty of tiny brass bow's, which will be seen many more times in upcoming pieces. Never have I been so inspired by such a tiny piece of metal, they're super cute in person! :)

Next up, is a Singles Awareness Day gift to myself. I received a package a few days ago from one of my closest friends, Catrina, for our "friend anniversary", which just happens to fall on February 14th. One of her lovely gifts to me was a silver colored chain with a mirror pendant, which coincidentally was on the list for my next sample supply purchase! (my friends & family pretty much know by now that most jewelry given to me is probably going to be taken apart in some way lol.)


Mixing metals!
The lovely scroll work on the back.



I love the look of linked pearls, but linking them by hand is such tedious work. Right now I'm in the market for more pretty mirrors, these should be up by the end of the month!

And finally, something *top secret*. 


Hmmm....



So this season it's all about bows, pearls, crystals, and 2 more secret ingredients that I hope to post about soon. ;)

3 comments:

  1. This is so lovely! I'd love to do something that for my jewelry, but like you said, it just takes so many pearls. I love those little bows too! I've been thinking of getting some to play with, and now after seeing them used in such a nice way I may have to!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...